Senior Alliance Manager
Job Title: Senior Alliance Manager
Company: Harvard University Office of Technology Development
Location: Flexible - Cambridge, MA (USA)
Alliance Management has become recognized as a necessary core business skill to lead strategic alliances. Working in the Corporate Alliances group within the Office of Technology Development (OTD), the Senior Alliance Manager will manage multi-program research alliances that have been or will be created between Harvard OTD and pharmaceutical or biotech industry partners. The goal of Harvard’s Corporate Alliances team is to maximize the value of strategic research alliances with industry by establishing collaborative research plans for the development of innovative biomedical/pharmaceutical /therapeutic technologies based on common research and development interests, and by ensuring that relationships between Harvard faculty and industry partners remain aligned, collaborative and productive.
See more information about Harvard’s strategic research alliances here: https://otd.harvard.edu/news/tag/alliances.
- Work with the Corporate Alliances team, the Directors of Business Development (DBD) and other OTD colleagues to support collaborative relationships between Harvard faculty and our industry partners through alliance- and project-level management.
- Become the internal expert on the industry partner’s expertise and scientific/therapeutic areas of interest for assigned portfolio. Independently work with Harvard OTD, Harvard faculty and the industry partner to identify and pursue new collaborative research projects for the development of biomedical/pharmaceutical technologies, both in a curated fashion, or through the design, launch and execution of formal research proposal requests. Take initiative in suggesting strategies for improvement of project curation and research proposal requests to maximize outcomes.
- Ensure the programs have visibility within the Harvard research community and that Projects remain a high priority of Principal Investigators and research teams. Establish approachable, trusting, responsive and collaborative relationships with Harvard Faculty and industry partners’ executive leadership and head scientists, to maximize the service provided by the Corporate Alliances Team. Identify and follow up on key action items necessary to push forward the scientific progress to lead to completion of key experiments and project milestones.
- Coordinate, attend, and lead productive meetings to support research collaborations. Monitor, track and communicate research progress and milestones in progress reports and meeting minutes. Report metrics and overall status of the alliance to executive leadership. Draw from experience to promptly identify potential conflicts that may arise and impact project progress, and use independent judgement to formulate de-escalation strategies.
- Support business development outreach for the Corporate Alliances team through the preparation of project samplers focused in specific therapeutic areas.
- Ensure all contractual obligations outlined in the industry-sponsored research agreement are met at the project and alliance levels, working internally with other OTD teams and Harvard Departments, and externally with alliance management counterparts. Identify intellectual property arising from the projects, ensure timely review of publications, and assist in the coordination of filing patent applications.
Must possess a results-oriented approach. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and attention to detail are required. Willingness to perform tasks at all levels from administrative to scientific and strategic. Ability to prioritize work in a complex matrix environment.
Master’s degree in biological sciences or related discipline. A minimum of six years of relevant experience in an industrial or academic setting in positions involved with project management, alliance management, and/or business development. An advanced degree may count toward years of experience. Strong preference will be given to candidates with project and/or alliance management experience. Preference is given to candidates with advanced degrees, including MBA or Ph.D. in biological sciences or related discipline.
Feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.