Director -- Alliance Management
Job Title: Director - Alliance Management
Location: Foster City, CA
At Gilead, we strive to transform the promise of science and technology into therapies that have the power to cure, prevent or treat disease. As a research-based biopharmaceutical company, we are revolutionizing healthcare by bringing medicines to patients in the areas of HIV, AIDS, liver diseases, hematology and oncology, and inflammation and respiratory diseases.
We are growing a diverse team of professionals and an atmosphere of inclusion across departments. We need your unique talents, expertise and background to help millions of people around the world live healthier. Join a close community where every voice is heard – where you can see and measure the results of your contributions.
Our values – integrity, inclusion, teamwork, accountability and excellence – are evident in everything we do.
Do you love complex and diverse projects? Join our team and directly impact how we operate as a company!
The Alliance Management group is responsible for managing and optimizing the value of Gilead’s alliances in drug development and commercialization at all stages of the product life cycle. This includes strategic in- and out- licenses, collaborations, and commercialization partnerships. This role will be a key contributor in developing and maintaining strategic alliances at Gilead.
- Oversee the governance of strategic partnerships in research, development and commercialization partnerships. This including managing governance committees, identifying key issues and solution-driving. Monitor implementation of and adherence to agreed-upon research, development and commercialization plans; take appropriate action to ensure execution.
- Compliance/contract management – liaise with legal, finance, R&D, Commercial and other functions to ensure that key contract milestones, financial transactions, progress reports, etc. are handled appropriately and also to provide information/updates as needed. Regularly collect/develop and control quality of forecasts as appropriate to support financial planning activities
- Work directly with the partner company to set the direction and scope for implementation of partnership agreement: key activities, timing and responsibilities on either side
- Crisis management- address hot topic issues that require immediate attention while working to minimize crisis management situations
Internal Alliance Representation
- Conduct regular reviews/meetings with senior management and other functions as appropriate to communicate key issues, milestones, etc. and gather feedback
- Lead and/or participate in contract renegotiations as appropriate
- Participate in review of new partner contract negotiations as appropriate and provide input into partnership execution terms of the contract, in particular governance structures and processes
- Build expertise about partner company, including company organization/leadership, strategies, financials, priorities, etc.; become Gilead "internal expert" on partner company
- Participate in alliance management group meetings to review progress and issues and share best practices
- Perform regular alliance audits and health checks
Skill and Experience Qualifications:
- Advanced degree in Life Sciences, Business, Medicine or Law
- Experience with cross-industry partnering and aligning diverse stakeholders
- 12+ years’ experience plus BS/BA or 10+ years’ experience plus graduate degree in the pharmaceutical, life sciences or related industry, preferably in commercial, business development, or project leader/project management role.
- 5-years’ experience in Alliance Management or Business Development
- Strong experience in drug development
- Strong leadership and self-direction, high-capacity for learning quickly
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to lead, interact with, focus, negotiate, resolve conflict
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to identify, prioritize and resolve key project and partnership issues
- Demonstrated attention to detail and excellence in project management and effectively managing multiple projects/priorities
- Demonstrated ability to work with and coordinate demands from multiple customers, both internally and with partners. Must be able to handle ambiguity well.
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a matrix team
- Participation in development and life cycle management project teams
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to efficiently and productively communicate both orally and in writing
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge and experience in virology, oncology, inflammation, liver disease therapeutic areas
- Experience in global markets (e.g., EU, Japan, and other)
- Fluency or proficiency in at least one other language
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster: https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
Notice: Employee Polygraph Protection Act: https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/eppac.pdf
Your rights under the Family and Medical Leave Act: https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/fmlaen.pdf
Pay transparency nondiscrimination provision: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.